Bacon and leek scones
* 1 tablespoon oil
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 egg yolk, beaten
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 3 slices lean back bacon, finely chopped
* 1 leek, finely chopped
* 175g/6oz plain flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 50g/13/4oz butter
* 125g/41/2oz mashed potato
* 50g/13/4oz fresh parmesan cheese, grated
* 1 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan add the bacon and leek and fry for 3-4 minutes until the bacon is crisp.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add all the remaining ingredients except the egg and combine well until a soft dough is formed.
4. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and press or roll out to a thickness of 1.5cm. Using a 6cm fluted cutter stamp out about 10 scones.
5. Brush with a little beaten egg then bake for 10-15 minutes until golden and risen.